YUM! This olive tapenade makes me want to dance. It’s so freaking good! I just can’t deal. This is DELISH served on Baked Parmesan Crisps, alongside a cheese platter, slathered on crusty bread or on slices of cucumber for a healthier approach. I made this the other night to have with a cheese platter and it was just as good as I remembered.
It’s important to use mostly black pitted olives and only a small amount of kalamatas, because kalamata olives are high in sodium. Also, the regular black olives tend to be less expensive, so thats always a bonus!
The hot mustard and garlic give this tapenade a nice little kick, but the anchovy paste is truly my secret weapon. When used properly, anchovy paste really adds something extra special to a dish. It’s often that one ingredient you just can’t put your finger on. The biggest mistake people make, is of course using too much of it. This stuff is POTENT, so use a little bit at a time when cooking. It’s possible to cook with anchovy paste and not have fishy tasting food; just chill on the tube dude.
This is a great make ahead option for a party or appetizer and it is super easy to make. There is actually no real cooking involved in making this tapenade. All you have to do is add the ingredients together in a food processor and voila!
Hope you like it! xx
- 1 small can black olives, drained
- ½ cup kalamata olives
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp dry roasted pine nuts
- 2 tsp hot mustard, such as dijon
- ½ tsp anchovy paste
- 1 tsp rosemary, minced
- 2 tbsp basil, loosely chopped
- Pulse garlic, pine nuts and 1 tbsp olive oil for 30 seconds
- Add black olives, ½ of the kalamatas, hot mustard, anchovy paste, rosemary & basil and pulse until smooth, adding EVOO slowly.
- Add remaining half of kalamatas and quickly pulse
- Serve with crackers or bread