I suck at breakfast! There is no denying it anymore. My fiancé is always getting on my case about not eating breakfast and he’s starting to sound like a broken record (it’s been almost 3 years). I know it’s super important but it’s always been difficult for me to eat in the morning. For years my daily breakfast of champions consisted of a large coffee with cinnamon and maybe a banana when I’m flying. Don’t judge! I’m challenging myself to break this habit so be prepared to see more breakfast posts from me.
Let me just say I love a recipe that gives you a ton of freedom to modify ingredients depending on what you have available. Bacon & Egg Baked Breakfast Cups is absolutely one of those recipes. You can use a variety of ingredients: mushrooms, onions, peppers, tomatoes, spinach and cheese to name a few. This weekend I used my leftover Sautéed Shishito Peppers and they were stellar diced up and added to this recipe.
Another thing I love about this recipe is how easily you can cater to individual preferences. Maybe someone dislikes mushrooms or wants to include every vegetable known to mankind. You can put whatever you want in each muffin cup and everyone will be happy at breakfast. This recipe is equally convenient if your cooking for one or feeding a family of five. This recipe is simple enough that you can easily adjust the ingredients depending on the number of mouths you need to feed.
I’ve experimented with this recipe quite a bit because the first time I made it, the yolks were too hard and the bacon was undercooked. Well that’s just not going to fly. Challenge accepted!
After I line around the muffin tin with a slice of bacon, I bake it in the oven for about 10 minutes to jump-start the cooking process. The bacon takes longer to cook than the eggs so I precook the bacon to end up with a crispy outer shell. I also prefer to scramble each egg individually in a small bowl and add 2 tbsp of whatever ingredient before adding to the muffin tin. I prefer the texture and find everything cooks more evenly if it’s mixed together. This is totally personally preference.
- 12 eggs
- 12 slices of bacon (I use applewood smoked)
- 1.5 cups total or 2 tbsp per muffin tin of your desired ingredient(s)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Line each muffin cup with a piece of bacon
- Put bacon lined muffin tin in the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes. You want the bacon to look half cooked before adding the eggs.
- While bacon is in the oven prepare your desired add in ingredient(s) like peppers, mushrooms etc. You should allocate for 1.5 cups total or 2 tbsp per muffin cup.
- In a small bowl lightly beat 1 egg and add 2 tbsp of desired ingredient(s). Pour egg mixture into bacon lined muffin cup and repeat the process for each egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until done. Everyone likes their eggs cooked differently so take a peak at about the 15 minute mark. They might be done to your liking!